NON-SURGICAL PERIODONTAL THERAPY
FIRST APPOINTMENT – CONSULTATION:
A Periodontal consultation with Dr Colin Priestland will take place at a 1 hour appointment to:
- Diagnose the extent and severity of your gum disease and any other compounding factors,
- Provide a full explanation of the causative factors, how the disease progresses and the treatment for the condition and
- If you have been referred by your doctor or dentist, Dr Priestland will write a report back to the referring practitioner outlining the findings and treatment plan.
Initial Periodontal Therapy:
Non-surgical periodontal therapy is provided over two appointments by Sharon Everett our practice dental hygienist. This will take place at a 90-minute “first” appointment and a 60 minutes “second” appointment. A “third” appointment of 60 minutes will follow 6-8 weeks later for reassessment to determine the degree of healing that has taken place and the remaining treatment requirement. At these appointments Sharon will:
- Demonstrate correct cleaning using a Sonic electric toothbrush using high frequency sonic vibration technology (frequency >30MHz).
- She will advise you on the detailed use of this brush and the use of adjunctive antibacterial chemicals in the form of a mouthwash and a toothpaste gel if this is considered necessary.
- Once you have learnt the cleaning technique, Sharon will provide you with local anaesthesia of the upper and lower left areas of your mouth before she embarks on the detailed cleaning of the root surfaces of all the teeth in those areas.
- The second appointment will take place 2 days later when Sharon will once again provide local anaesthesia in the upper and lower right areas of the mouth and again clean all those root surfaces.
- You will then be given a root surface treatment to reduce the temperature sensitivity that some patients experience after such thorough cleaning of the root surfaces.
- You will then go away and practice the detailed cleaning technique you have been taught for 6-8 weeks before returning to see Sharon once more.
- At this 60 minute periodontal reassessment appointment, Sharon will measure all the pocket depths and record any sites of continued periodontal inflammation (gum disease) and may record a number of other disease marker parameters.
- Once the periodontal record has been completed Sharon will call Dr Priestland to see your results and take part in a consultative discussion with you to determine what, if any, further active phase treatment you may need.
- Finally you will be invited to enter into a routine maintenance schedule that is acceptable to you.
Contact the friendly team at NQ Surgical Dentistry today on (07) 4725 1656 or call in to see us at 183 Kings Rd, Pimlico QLD 4812